What defines Summer is different for everyone.
One thing that defines Summertime for me is *puttin up the garden*....you know canning, freezing.... Yep it's something that Momma has ALWAYS done... every summer....forever... well, at least for the last sixty something years! And this year is no different. After puttin up all the corn she wanted, she said come and get it, there's plenty more. She and *Paw Paw* have divided the garden work this year....he grows it and she puts it up;). Well, who can turn down corn?!
I must admit, I didn't sleep very well Friday nite for worrying that I would oversleep..and
with the temps ranging in the upper 90's to the 100's that was worth worrying about:). I sure wanted to get out early. My plan was to get to the garden before 6, I was only a little behind......arriving at 6:30. And was I glad!? Although at that hour it was pleasant..it did not take long for old Sol to start warming up the day!
Dear Vern says it's a mighty lot of work puttin up corn. I agree it is a little time comsuming. But we agree it is well worth it when you have that *fresh* taste long into winter.
Well, looks like we're about finished here. Ready for the freezer. I ended up with 104 ears and 14 bags. I can only say that I am sorry for all those folks who have never had my momma's corn. Mmmmmm, you have no idea what you're missing!!!
lil sis




Ohhh, this is soooo not fair! That corn looks so good. I am glad you were able to share in the bounty.......save a bag to serve when I come to visit! I know mama will have some for me if you don't.
ReplyDeleteLove ya
Elder Sis
ps. Shannon was really "corn hungry" when she got the pic.