The wild muscadine that gave us such good jelly this year!
Well, we have just finished raking and bagging leaves for the last time this year. I Love Fall, always have. It is my favorite season with all the colors and milder temps. Watching the leaves fall and enjoying the fragrance of, to say it bluntly, decaying woodlands is in some ways refreshing to me. While we were bagging the last piles of leaves I commented that the scent of those leaves was reminding me of picking cotton. Jerry said it must be the Cottonwood tree we were standing under;0. And there you go....... I remember when I was little and we were in the cotton patch. My mother and sisters (specially the sisters) taught me ryhmes and songs and how to spell some while they had me confined;). You could say that was my kindergarten since we did not have kindergarten waaayyy back then. I am sure they enjoyed it as well as probably wanting to help prepare me for first grade;0). My family worked hard, most especially my daddy and mother. And Carolyn who was oldest. Bunny and I being younger ( or at least that's what I blame it on) got off pretty light I am afraid.
Anyways, this time of year finds me reflecting more on those days than any other time. I am happy I have those memories and all the others that come to me when I catch a particular scent or sight. Good things to have gratitude for, yes?
For you my sweet Ashley
GOD'S WORLD
O World, I cannot hold thee close enough!
Thy winds, thy wide grey skies!
Thy mists that roll and rise!
Thy woods, this autumn day, that ache and sag
And all but cry with color! That gaunt crag
To crush! To lift the lean of that black bluff!
World, World, I cannot get thee close enough!
Long have I known a glory in it all,
But never knew I this;
Here such a passion is
As stretcheth me apart. Lord, I do fear
Thou'st made the world too beautiful this year.
My soul is all but out of me,--let fall
No burning leaf; prithee, let no bird call.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
happy fall,
lil sis




That Edna knew how to put feelings into words! I know what you mean about the fragrance of fall. I just finished my afternoon walk and all along the woods I could smell the musty, earthy odor of autumn. And you're right, reminds me of the cotton patch. Good post!
ReplyDeletebig sis
Love you Momma!!!
ReplyDelete